Monday, February 17, 2014

I Have Nothing to Wear!

On a dismal, rainy afternoon, I took Rose out to the salon for a pedicure, just us girls. We walked in and the manicurist told us to choose a color while we wait our turn. We both carefully scanned the wall display, picking up one, shaking it and putting it back. We did this at least a dozen times each before settling on our respective colors. I chose a darker pink with purple tones to it – thinking that the color was something fresh. It was one I haven’t tried before and I had nothing like it at home. Rose chose a florescent orange. To be clear, I’m not talking orange with pink highlights, or peach that looks a little orange. This orange was ORANGE. It was a bright, electric looking color that was so neon it was self-illuminating. The manicurist did a full double take when Rose handed her the bottle. “You want this color on your nails?” Rose looked at the small woman confidently. With her deep dimples and big brown eyes, she smiled. “Yep!” “On your fingernails too?” “Yes please!” Rose didn’t question her decision for a second and was unshaken by the manicurist’s hesitation. Nor did she feel it necessary to justify her color selection. She was almost giddy all the way to the chair and throughout our entire mani-pedi. We talked about the program that was being broadcast on the salon’s large flat screens and our upcoming plans for Spring Break. When Rose had been adorned with the awkwardly large and very floppy, disposable flip-flops, I couldn’t help myself anymore- I wanted to ask; “What is up with that color?!” Watching her from my foot soaking perch as she carefully stepped with unnecessarily large steps towards the manicure station, I finally spoke up; “That’s a great color Rose..” I said in the most leading way I could, hoping for an insightful response. “I know, right!” “It sort of looks like the same shade as your basketball…” I said again, setting her up for the answer I was anticipating-no such luck. “Oh! It does!” Rose said noticing the coincidence as she admired the glosses tips of her drying fingers. What was her motivation? What made her chose such an unlikely shade? Was it to purposely be different? Did she just like it? Whatever her reasoning was, she remained happy with her choice, without regard to the questioning glances of patrons and staff. The whole thing made me wonder why I was so quick to establish my deciding logic. I’ve never really been one to care about what other people thought. I’ve never been trendy or stylish by Fashion Week standards. I care what I think, so I elaborated on my color choice. What color would I have chosen if I let go of all those reasons and justifications and just chose? In almost every circumstance, an informed decision is the best kind. Careful thought and deliberation are absolutely necessary for every fork in your road. But sometimes- forget the fork and do it all hands on with a big, dimply smile. On a rainy day, go with a color just because, listen to a song without thinking, spend the entire afternoon watching the tiny drops of water bounce off the window or go jump in a puddle. Be what makes you happy and stay blissfully unaware of anyone who questions your sanity. AND, if you happen across an old bearded man, throwing down a break-dancing challenge to a group of cardboard and boom-box toting youngsters… stop and cheer him on without wondering what he is thinking or where he learned to dance. On that grey, wet afternoon I learned something priceless from my fearless daughter. Not all decisions in life are metaphoric forks in your road. Sometimes the only decision you need to make is to stop making decisions all the time. Get off the road for a minute and run through the sprinklers. When your little, parents make a lot of decisions for you. When you’re a grown up, the path before you isn’t so simple and it forks in a million different directions. Don’t forget to seek out the whimsical you. My whimsy is wearing bright orange nail polish. No wonder our future is so bright!

No comments:

Post a Comment