Wednesday, January 22, 2014

44,000,000 Ways to Heal

I have heard, read and watched a lot of amazing stories about forgiveness. A Google Search on the topic yields 44,000,000 results in less than half of a second. On the cross, Jesus Christ said of his crucifiers; “Father, forgive them – they know not what they do.” The Dalai Lama, in exile, forgives the Chinese government for the imprisonment and slaughter of over 112,000 Tibetans. Everyday, locally, no matter where you live, no matter the socio-economic class, religion, or sexuality, the most horrific acts are forgiven by the victims and their families.
On the other end of the spectrum, are families divided – perhaps by divorce, altercation, disappointment or misunderstanding. I’m not preaching forgiveness from a perfect pedestal of unconditional love for my fellow man; my personal struggle to be forgiving includes someday, possibly, being able to pray for the strength to forgive. I simply want to point out that in the face of potentially 44,000,000 unbelievable stories about forgiveness, my feud, all feuds, are stupid. Holding onto your hurt and everything that comes with it means leaving your wound open. You aren’t unable to heal; you are refusing to heal in hopes that exposing your wound will serve as vengeance. I promise it doesn’t. I’ve never done a Google search for the benefits of holding a grudge, because I’m willing to bet that the only thing that comes up is 44,000,000 reasons to let go. I am humbled by all those local stories of forgiveness and I imagine those victims to be spiritual giants. I have been hurt, in a lot of ways. My heart has been broken more times than I care to rehash, but I don’t want to live with those wounds and neither should you. I am blessed beyond warrant and it’s foolish for me, or anyone else, to dwell in anything but happiness and love. I can’t begin to give you advice on who to forgive, or when. I’d tell you where to start, but I think you already know the answer. In the mean time fill yourself with light, surround yourself in joy, act in kindness, always be honest and know that you have already been forgiven.

No comments:

Post a Comment