Friday, January 17, 2014

Life is Good

I've been told that I expect too much of myself. What does that even mean? I am made in God's image. I am a body of limitless energy. My potential cannot be measured. Everything great that I am enriches and nourishes my children physically, emotionally and spiritually. Our future is as bright as we make it and I love the light. What my expectations are is what we have. We rent our home, which is charming with age and experience. Sometimes, I can feel the love and dedication that went into building each wall, mounting each length of crown molding and laying every brick. My house represents a simpler time, when families relied less on electronics, and more on creativity. In this way, it inspires my homemaking and enables me to think outside the box.
We have a large yard that is surrounded with trees and foliage. The trees, vines and bushes provide breath taking aesthetics, privacy and shade. The neighborhood is incredible. I don’t quite live in the suburbs, nor is it a big city. The quaint houses, each with its own story, sit amidst a variety of local mom and pop stores. Our home is unique for its age and location. Most of the homes in this area are smaller ramblers. However, because our basement at one time included a Mother-in-Law apartment; it is large enough to accommodate our big family and our giant dogs. We have six children, as I write this today; my oldest son is thirteen, next is my daughter who is ten, my other son who is seven, my other daughter who is six, my youngest son who is four and the baby is almost a year and a half.
The oldest, Joseph surpasses every other teenager I’ve ever met. He is mature beyond his years; responsible, compassionate, creative and kind. Rose is stunning, in both beauty and intelligence. She is my dancer. Everything she does brings joy to everyone around her. Duncan is a silly, goofy, busy boy. He is Deaf. When he came into this world, he brought us into his. It’s been an amazing, life changing journey to learn his language and culture. Lillian is our miracle. She has a warm, inviting spirit about her and she doesn’t go anywhere without making friends. Paul is fearless, imaginative, fun and affectionate. He tells me he loves me several times a day. He has always been sensitive the needs and feelings of others. Finally, there was Eliza. What we have learned about her in the last sixteen months is that she is determined. The youngest of six, she has a great deal of patience for being awkwardly carried from one place to another. From the day we brought her home from the hospital, she has had an engaging expression about her. She glows when you talk to her and beams when she discovers something new. I am blessed to be married to my best friend. He is a wonderful provider and works hard to afford me the opportunity to be a stay-at-home-mom. I love mornings dedicated to getting the children ready for all the adventures that lay ahead of them each day. Caring for my family; finding rock collections in the laundry and forts in the yard, filling my home with the smells of nutritious food, the excitement of games, outings and bath time, homework, science projects and book reports… this is truly my idea of heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment